Monday 18 August 2008

Yaad-e-Daag

November, 1975:


Mini takes her very first flight on Indian Airlines. (There wasn't anyone else to fly with, those days!) For some reason, their Dad is already in Calcutta and I'm following him with two babies: 4-month-old babe-in-arms Mini and 2-year-old toddler Bozo. (Take note, Y, ....)

Bozo I knew would pose no problem. He was easy-going even as a baby and would be happy with me talking and pointing things out to him or even going off with the air-hostess for a while. Mini? From the last snippet you'll remember that this is one smart kid, who's not likely to keep very still during the 2 and a half hour flight, not to talk about the long wait at the airport. And she was VERY wary of strangers, very choosy, actually, for she'd hold her arms out to one stranger and cry murder with the next.

So I'd been wracking (racking? where does that expression come from, anyway?) my brain for ideas. Cough syrup? Even Phenalgan? Na-ah! Not on a flight, anyway... so, what?

I remembered the flight was an afternoon one, and had a brainwave - DON'T LET HER HAVE HER MID-MORNING NAP. That worked out fine. She was a bit cranky, but fell asleep in the cab on the way to the airport. She slept soundly through the ride and the wait at the airport. The three of us got onto the plane. Lots of compliments all round about how well I managed, how well-behaved my two were, etc., etc.

She slept through it all like a...like a...well, like a baby, what else!

Then they began serving the snacks. That's when my inexperience showed. "Tea, Madam?" Tired as I was, I couldn't resist the cuppa that was extended towards me. "Yes, please," I replied and carefully took it my free hand.

Well, I don't know if I got down to that. Taking it in my free hand, I mean. For all I remember is the cup of hot tea hovering in the air, with the saucer hovering below it. As if in slow motion, the two tilt and begin to tip and come down, perilously, pouring the tea onto me and the wriggling baby in my arms.

Had she been waiting for the right moment to kick? Had she had that gleam in her eyes, keeping them half shut so I'd think she was asleep? Whatever. Her aim was good and her tiny foot had soundly kicked that cup and saucer into the air.

Of course, there was a huge fuss. The baby's screams had heads turning, some annoyed at having their naps so rudely disturbed. The hostess ran for the BurnAll (they were caring still, back then) while I brushed the hot liquid off my now screaming baby. The hostess came back with two others and they grabbed Mini and rushed her to the loo. I followed. We poured cold water over the now angry, red patches on her stomach and then applied the Burnall. She quietened down only when I put her to feed, still making angry, protesting noises as she fed!

Fortunately, Mini does not have any scald marks. Baby skin and all. I have one still, very faded, very light, on my thigh, which I can see only because I know it's there.

Pyar ka daag...the mark of love.

Thanks, Mini.

;-(

And Bozo slept through it al...

7 comments:

  1. I remember Bozo & Mini very well. I used to live in Dunlop Sahaganj. Lalita Aunty taught me History in Auxilium Convent for a year. I came across Bozo's blog when I was searching about Dunlop Sahaganj on Google. My dad Sutanu Saha was working in Dunlop Sahaganj. My mom was Gopa. I hope Lalita Aunty would remember me. I am sorry to know about Bozo. I saw Mini's recent pics, she has grown so well. Would like to know more about you all. My e-mail address reena@vnapt.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee. Only a mother would excuse a difficult baby's behaviour by calling her smart! I sound just like the kind of baby I would hate to be on a plane with :)poor Mazzer, travelling on her own with 2 little kids... but see, you did it then; surely you can bring your own not-so-little self to Melbourne without any trouble? :) Love you...

    Rituparna - Thank you for your comment. I am sorry I can't quite place you, but hopefully either Ma or Baba will be able to remember you or your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me Reena, that is what everyone in Dunlop Estate knew me. You were very small, maybe in Kinder Garten, when you were in Dunlop Sahaganj, hence would not really remember me. I used to come to your house sometimes, my mother sent me to give something to Lalita Aunty. It was the years 1981-82, I was in grade 6-7 then, probably 4 years elder to Bozo. I have a younger brother, Rana, who is 5 years younger to me. He went to school at the English medium school too. He played with Bozo, called him Bozo-da. You guys were there for few years and then moved away again. I remember your mom exactly the way she looks in the black & white photos you posted, with dimples on her cheeks when she smiled. I still tell my kids about her sometimes and how she taught the song, "One man went to mow, went to mow the meadow" to her students at Auxilium Convent, the school beside Bandel church. Your mom used to get the door in her Kaftan when I rang the bell. I have very short but vivid memories of you all. It is really nice to find you guys. Please let your mom know about me. I do not know what to say about your brother not being here anymore. I was excited to have found the blog but was shocked at the same time realizing it was in memory of Bozo. I couldn't fathom out at first that Bozo is not here anymore. And I went on to read all the memoires you all put up, and the poems of Lalitha Aunty, missing him terribly. I cried reading her pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Difficult baby, Mini? I never thought of you two as difficult! You both were always SO GOOD. Well, to give me credit, I made sure you were never bored, always took along something for you to potter with (both of you just LOVED tearing up old newspaper!) But you were so easy to keep occupied. As long as I was talking to you, pointing things out, telling stories, or as long as you had something to DO, we were fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reena, I think do remember you! Did I not teach you English as well?

    Was your mom slim and fair? Your dad was in the computers department, no? Quiet type?

    Thanks for dropping in. Your comments mean a lot. We love to hear from people who knew Bozo, however remotely and we love to hear tem talk about him...

    Please do give us more news about you and your parents.

    Please don't be offended if I have not placed you correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reena, I think do remember you! Did I not teach you English as well?

    Was your mom slim and fair? Your dad was in the computers department, no? Quiet type?

    Thanks for dropping in. Your comments mean a lot. We love to hear from people who knew Bozo, however remotely and we love to hear tem talk about him...

    Please do give us more news about you and your parents.

    Please don't be offended if I have not placed you correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! How did I manage to post that twice?!!

    And Mini, it was hardly your fault. It's not as if you kicked that tea on purpose.... babies have these involuntary movements, you know, and that one - the kick - just happened to come at the wrong moment!

    ReplyDelete