Thursday 31 May 2007

Old King Cole


One's memory is a strange thing. I remember the exact moment this picture was taken, and always have, but I don't remember who took it, although I am fairly sure it wasn't one of our parents. I do remember that it was taken on a Polaroid camera.... the very first time I saw one; it was very exciting!
I am not even sure how old we were... it was taken directly after a school function (and we are standing next to the stage) and Dada played Old King Cole in some kind of an adaptation of the nursery rhyme. I, on the other hand, had the extremely glamorous task of playing 'another brick in the wall' quite literally. I, along with a bunch of other chubby kids, formed part of the wall of a princess's castle. Did not bode well for a career in the arts. Sigh.
Dada, however, was always effortlessly good at everything to do with academics as well as extra-curricular activities. I remember a few years after this picture was taken, he was the Master of Ceremonies at another event. (It was some kind of a cultural show, and I had by this time graduated from being part of the set to being one of the dancers.) I was standing out front in the audience at the beginning, and there he was, this small boy on a huge stage in front of a sea of people, but there wasn't a hint of nervousness as he so beautifully spoke about the programme ahead of us that evening. He couldn't have been more than 11 or 12 years old at the time, and I was completely in awe of him. It was not the first time (and certainly not the last) that I felt so incredibly proud that he was MY brother!

7 comments:

  1. I remember it too!

    It was Arnab Kaku who took that pic. You were about 5 and Da was 6 and a half, going on 7.

    But the rest of it is so NOT TRUE! You were extremely talented! How can you not remember Bow-Legged Chicken, the Japanese dance and, in LSS (Lakshmipat Singhania School) you too compered one of the school functions! What about all those song, dance, debating and drama competitions in Karanja? Eh?

    Hey, this is about Bozo, yes, but I won't stand for you belittling my most fave person in the whole world, ok?

    What does come as a surprise is you still writing so well. I thought you might have lost it over the years. But you have a natural, flowing style, which makes you sound genuine and truthful - and hence wholly believable.

    Well done, Mini (am I allowed to use the other names I have for you sometimes?!?). Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma - Yes, of course I remember, although 'Bow-legged Chicken' is something I would rather forget! But you are right, lady, this is about Dada, not me, so foccccuss please :) I mean, I love the praise and all that, but let's tone it down just a li'l bit, shall we?!!!

    Re the picture... yes it would have to be Arnab Kaku, wouldn't it... he had the coolest gadgets. I remember their car, was it a Fiat? We kids would sit in the boot, and thought it was the coolest thing ever... Opu especially was very proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd sit in the BOOY? Gosh, that was dangerous. AND irresponsible of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should have read BOOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) am pretty sure it was a station wagon-style car, so it was quite alright... chill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A station wagon-style Fiat? Ok, if you say so... :@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a really cute picture..ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...we want more!

    ReplyDelete